Well, if you plan to escape into the great outdoors, you need to learn a little about living off the land. God’s bounty can provide plenty to sustain us if we just know how. As always make sure you know very well how to identify the various substances. If you don’t know don’t eat it.
If you are starving and don’t know if help is on the way, then you may have no choice but to risk it. First try rubbing the substance on your skin to see if there is a reaction. If no reaction is observed, you may decide if you want to try ingesting it. Only eat a small portion. Wait for a reaction. If you start to feel sick, it may be wise to vomit up what you can. If you have any activated charcoal use it. It is known to absorb ingested toxins. This is very dangerous so don’t do it unless you are in a dire situation and close to starving to death. Never ingest anything you don’t know what is.
Here are a few safer options for surviving in the wilderness.
Here are some tips. Pine trees are a great source of foraging. The needles are great for making tea and are rich in vitamin C. The pine cones hide tasty little nuts inside that can be eaten raw or roasted. It can take a little doing to get them out though. The easiest way is to heat them up, but BE Careful! They pop.
The soft inner bark of the tree can be salted and fried up like a chip. Never tasted it myself though.
Wild cattail can be found in many places. Most people can recognize them. As well as the various parts are edible. The summer flower heads can be gathered and cooked and eaten. The stem could be eaten raw or cooked. In the winter the roots can be mashed in water and let sit for a few hours and then drain and eat.
Thistles can be eaten and easily recognized. Pick the seeds out of the purple head and may be eaten raw or cooked. The stalk can be peeled cut and boiled. The roots can be washed and eaten raw or cooked.
If you are a beach goer you know what seaweed is. It looks slimy (and is) but can bee eaten raw or cooked.
A short story for you. My uncles when they were young with their friends, once picked daffodils for their teacher and decided to eat them instead. Yes. They acted loopy after that and the principal had to rush them to the hospital and make them throw up and give them activated charcoal to absorb the toxins.